At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM’s Tech Re-Entry program is looking for talented technical professionals who are looking to restart their technical careers after an absence from the workforce of 12 months or more. This paid apprenticeship will enable you to work on projects that match your expertise, interests, and abilities and could lead to full-time employment.
During your IBM Tech Re-Entry apprenticeship program, you will have the opportunity to update your skills in a contemporary work environment. You will have access to the latest tools and technologies available and work alongside multi-disciplinary teams to hone your expertise and deliver on client-critical solutions. You’ll be able to experience the breadth of IBM resources while developing new skills and relationships.
Re-Entry hires participate in ~6 month apprenticeships to refresh skills and prepare for transition to full time opportunities. The experience provides personalized technical learning to update and gain additional skills; earning badges and credentials along the way.
points of view
IBM Watson Government Health and Human Services is currently searching for a Senior Data Architect to join our team. The Senior Data Architect designs relational databases and develops strategies for data warehouse implementations following industry best practices (e.g., Inmon, Kimball). Evaluates new data sources to assess quality and determine integration approach. Conducts data risk assessments, identify and document data mappings/lifecycle, and helps build an enterprise data governance model, policies and programs.
The successful candidate will interact and communicate with senior leadership, technical staff, management, subject matter experts, and supporting team members, as well as the customers, on a broad range of technical, programmatic, and project-related requests and issues. This candidate will also elicit, document, normalize, characterize, and visualize data across the enterprise and project, and will review and interpret the needs of State organizations, including how to apply them to the design and development of databases and data warehouses.
• Conducts data requirements assessment and design sessions with customers.
• Works with analysts to establish clearly defined business requirements.
• Works with data suppliers to establish input and interface specifications.
• Performs data analysis for source system data.
• Creates conceptual, logical and physical models for healthcare data warehouse implementations.
• Designs and manages data models in data modeling product.
• Develops third normal form and dimensional models that adhere to data warehouse best practices.
• Designs time-variant models that support both point-in-time (historical) and current state analysis.
• Generates DDL from model for RDBMS (Oracle, Teradata).
• Provides professional documentation describing data architecture.
• Represent the EDW team and collaborate with the customer and other agencies to conduct data risk assessments, document data mappings/lifecycle, and help build a data governance model, policies and programs.
• Represent the EDW team and collaborate with ongoing customer enterprise wide MDM and metadata projects
• Understands customer’s Data Management program and environment and identifies the next generation of processes and products to refine and extend the lifecycle of the program.
• Develops the approach for the implementation of Data Management lifecycle components (examples include master data management, conformance with reference architecture, metadata strategy, data warehousing strategy, data classification programs, data quality,)
• Collaborates across the organization to understand the value of these components and obtains alignment in the approach and benefits
• Leads project teams, or acts in a consulting capacity, in the implementation of the data management lifecycle components
• Provides direction and reviews solutions with regard to data architecture, working with software development teams and enterprise and application architects to ensure consistency and coherence with the enterprise architecture.
• Authors and reviews functional and technical design specifications for data integration and movement.
• Based on knowledge of data centric technology trends in the marketplaces, determines their applicability to the customer; evaluates and recommends data related technology products based on Truven’s overall directional goals.
• Demonstrates an ability to quickly identify the most likely problem area in a complex, integrated data environment
Successful Candidates will possess the following:
• Medicaid, MMIS or related experience with a state agency, especially as relates to data
• Demonstrated experience working with multi-discipline technical teams producing Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) solutions
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate with technical teams, delivery managers, project management, client management and customer stakeholders
To learn more about what we are doing please check us out:
IBM’s Industry Consultants are essential to our clients as they work to reinvent themselves for the future. Join our highly visible and highly skilled team of global consultants as we strive to accelerate sales, deliver client engagements, and build IBM’s market eminence. If you are a forward-thinker and a curious intellectual, we welcome you to apply for your next exciting career challenge!
In order to qualify for this apprenticeship, you must have been out of the workforce for a minimum of 12 months.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• 10 years’ experience as a data architect / data modeler
• Understanding of industry best practices in data warehousing design and development.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills for interacting and collaborating with developers, analysts, and business staff throughout the organization.
• Ability to express complex technical information to diverse audiences including non technical users; present information effectively in one-on-one, and small group settings, including executive management.
• Ability to communicate clearly in writing to document data requirements and translate into technical solutions.
• Understands the importance of maintaining the physical and technical security and privacy of HIPAA Protected Health Information (PHI).
• Ability to lead/mentor.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience with ERwin Enterprise Data Modeler Suite OR equivalent.
- 10 years’ experience in logical / physical data modeling – relational and dimensional.
- Experience in data governance analysis
- Insurance-related data / process experience.
- Experience with State government agencies and their supporting data architectures.
- Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) – Master Level.