The Reality Labs team at Facebook is helping more people around the world come together and connect through world-class Augmented, Mixed and Virtual Reality hardware and software. With global departments dedicated to AR/VR research, machine perception, graphics, operating systems, social interaction, and more, we are committed to driving the state-of-the-art forward through relentless innovation. AR and VR potential to change the world is immense — and we’re just getting started. Concept Engineering team explores, develops, and delivers new cutting-edge technologies that serve as the foundation of current and future AR/VR products. The team is responsible for rapidly building and iterating on high-fidelity prototypes and development platforms that bring new ideas to life.
We are seeking a Firmware Engineer who has a passion for working across disciplines to turn early cutting-edge concepts and technologies into shipping products. As a Firmware Engineer, you will be responsible for firmware design and bring up on cutting edge hardware targeted for both prototypes and shipping consumer products.
This position has a 16-week duration. All candidates are expected to commit to a consecutive 16-week timeframe for successful completion of the program. At the end of the term, those participants who have demonstrated their ability to succeed and make an impact at Facebook will be considered for a full-time position. Roles are filled as candidates are identified.
This program is open to all candidates who have relevant professional experience and have been out of the workforce for 2 years or longer immediately prior to the start of the program. New graduates with less than 1 year since matriculation, please apply for open positions through the students and grads career page.
Return to Work - Firmware Engineer (FRL) Responsibilities
- Ownership of system design and firmware on hardware prototypes and development platforms
- End-to-system firmware development to include initial bring-up and driver development on bare-metal/RTOS/Linux platforms
- Develop robust processes for validating hardware and system integration
- Collaborate with vendors to troubleshoot hardware issues
- Collaborate in a team environment across multiple, product focused, research, and engineering disciplines, making the architectural tradeoffs required to rapidly deliver firmware solutions
- BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- 3+ years of experience with driver and board-level system software development
- Experience with board bring up and systems debugging
- Experience with ARM based processors, microcontrollers, and various communications protocols such as I2C, UART, SPI, USB, MIPI, I2S, etc.
- Experience with debugging tools such as bus analyzers and oscilloscopes
- Experience with protocol design, specification, and implementation
- Experience debugging and problem solving in code bases and environments
- Experience with system software on embedded devices
- Experience with cameras, wireless and audio
- Experience with Android/Linux system software
About the Facebook company
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or who are neurodivergent, and to candidates with sincerely held religious beliefs or requiring pregnancy related support. If you need support, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.