Facebook is seeking an Hardware Systems Engineer to join our Release to Production (RTP) team. Our servers and data centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure operates efficiently to deliver our innovative services. The RTP team is responsible for the Hardware Lifecycle of all Facebook servers including development of test plans, hands-on stress testing and debugging pre-production hardware, enabling production-ready system monitoring, automated provisioning, and automated detection and remediation of issues.
RTP Engineers work closely with hardware designers, system manufacturers, component vendors, capacity engineering, production engineering, Facebook services, and data center operations teams to test systems before release to our production data centers, and to track the health and lifecycle of servers in production.
This is a 16-week position. All candidates should be able to commit to a consecutive 16-week timeframe for successful completion of the program. At the end of the term, those who have demonstrated their abilities to succeed and make an impact at Facebook will be considered for a full-time position. Candidates are encouraged to apply early!
This program is open to all candidates who have been out of the workforce for 2 years or longer immediately prior to the start of this program.
Return to Work - Hardware Systems Engineer, NPI Responsibilities
- Interface with external vendors and internal hardware, mechanical, power, thermal, manufacturing and software engineers to understand system architecture to develop and execute the test suites for various architectures
- Proactively create experiments and tooling to detect and diagnose hardware/firmware/software health issues
- Develop test framework for large-scale test automation inside fleet during product development and after mass production
- Implement remediation's across software and hardware stack according to plan, while keeping a thorough procedural record and data log
- Develop and publish updates on resolutions and communicate findings internally
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and root cause of system failures and isolate the components/failure scenarios while working with internal & external stakeholders
- Develop visibility through data visualization and implement systemic solutions to hardware health issues
- Drive necessary discussion with external and internal teams on test specification and methodologies to improve test quality continuously
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- 4+ years of work experience in one or more of domains such as: compute (x86), storage (SAS), device management (OOBM), AI-ML hardware (GPUs & TPUs), data center network hardware (switching, l2, l3, fabric), interconnect technologies (e.g. - Optics, DAC), power (PSU, battery backup units, AC/DC conversion)
- Experience with Linux and scripting
- Experience in changing system configurations and measuring change impact
- General knowledge of computer architecture
- Troubleshooting and analytical experience
- Experience creating test strategies and test plans for servers, components which may go into servers, or communication interfaces (e.g. I2C, SPI, PCIe, SATA, DDR4)
- Experience debugging with Linux, IPMI, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers
- Knowledge of Server Architecture and important components/communication interfaces
- Experience working through full life cycle for different server system/data center products
- Experience in post-production hyperscale post-production environments, solutions engineering for different server system/data center products
About the Facebook company
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or who are neurodivergent, and to candidates with sincerely held religious beliefs or requiring pregnancy related support. If you need support, please reach out to email@example.com.