Compass believes nonprofits are the backbone of strong and vibrant communities and knows many are overstretched and under-resourced. Few can afford top-tier consulting firms. By engaging volunteers from top companies in our local business communities, as well as other business professionals including attorneys and MBA alumni Compass has provided over $91 million in pro bono consulting services to date while also placing 165 professionals onto 104 nonprofit boards. Compass launched in Washington, D.C. in 2001, and has since expanded to Greater Philadelphia and Greater Chicago with plans to grow nationally. For more information, visit us at compassprobono.org.
Compass’ mission is to inspire business professionals to engage with their local nonprofits to transform communities.
Compass is seeking a dynamic and highly motivated professional to manage and direct all aspects of Compass’ volunteer consulting program in Greater Philadelphia. This high-profile role includes client and volunteer relations, fundraising, marketing, and finance. The ideal candidate will bring an entrepreneurial spirit and innovative approach to ensure Compass is meeting the needs of both nonprofits and business professionals in the Greater Philadelphia community. Therefore, having a deep connection to the business and nonprofit community in the Greater Philadelphia region is a must.
For the foreseeable future, this position will be remote. Once COVID restrictions ease, this position can remain partly remote, although Compass Philadelphia staff will resume use of our workspace in Center City, Philadelphia.
Leadership and Management
- Planning, organization, and direction of Compass Philadelphia’s operations and programs
- Provide leadership to develop and manage the efforts of a small staff to ensure appropriate support of all programs
- Provide direction and oversight in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and Compass leadership in D.C. and Chicago
- Collaborate with the Compass National team to ensure programmatic excellence
- Develop, maintain and support a strong Board of Directors to fulfill Compass’ mission and build engagement with the strategic direction of the Philadelphia program
- With Board involvement, develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health and adequate funds to carry out the organization’s work
- With support from Compass National and the Philadelphia Finance Committee, develop and manage an annual budget, lead monthly and quarterly reviews and provide periodic forecast updates
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the nonprofit field
Business Development and Fundraising
- Develop and execute an actionable plan and lead fundraising efforts with support from Compass National to support program operations
- Set and meet appropriate annual fundraising goals, in partnership with the Board of Directors, to secure financial support from foundations, corporations and individuals
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations in the business and nonprofit communities and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance Compass’ mission
- Build new partnerships and establish relationships with funders and community leaders
- Represent the organization and actively participate in external events to increase awareness, credibility and brand in the market and garner new opportunities
- Work closely with Compass National on a communications strategy to publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals
- With infrastructure support from the National office, which includes technology, databases, website and marketing collateral, oversee a Program Manager responsible for implementation of Compass’ consulting programs.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization's work
- Attend occasional evening events and trainings (when program returns to in-person activities)
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of ten years of experience in leadership in the nonprofit sector, management consulting or senior management; MBA not required, but a plus
- Previous experience with nonprofit fundraising and grant management, including experience with high-profile corporate, foundation and individual donors, and record of securing gifts
- Established leadership and relationships in the broader Philadelphia nonprofit and business communities
- Ability to proactively contact local partners in order to cultivate Compass involvement
- Self-starter with great initiative who is able to work independently, but also collaboratively
- Excellent verbal communication skills, as well as strong ability to write clearly, effectively and persuasively
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically when identifying opportunities and exercise good judgment when addressing challenges or resolving problems
- Ability to address sensitive situations with a volunteer corps
- Highly developed interpersonal, networking, and relationship-building skills
- Highly organized with ability to pay extraordinary attention to detail
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience with Compass program not required, but definitely a plus
- Familiarity or comfort with database management, specifically Salesforce, a plus
Compensation for this role will be $100,000 - $110,000 commensurate with experience plus annual performance-based bonus potential. Compass offers schedule flexibility and a generous paid leave package. In addition, Compass offers medical, dental and vision benefits, a 401K plan, and short- and long-term disability insurance.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to Suzanne Laporte, Compass President, at email@example.com by January 4, 2021 with the Subject: Compass Executive Director. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Those invited to submit further materials or schedule an interview will be contacted directly. The position will begin immediately.
Compass Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
At Compass, a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace is one where all employees and volunteers, whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, or disability, feel valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory culture and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and are committed to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.