We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior BizOps Engineer (Relaunch Your Career)
This role is part of Mastercard’s Relaunch Your Career program. This is a 16-week paid placement that helps people who have had a career break return to work. You will have the chance to be part of a dynamic team, lead engaging projects, plus receive on-the-job training and coaching and support. At the end of the paid placement, there is a potential for you to be hired in a permanent role. This position is at the mid-career level.
The BizOps team is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer who can help us solve problems, build our CI/CD pipeline and lead Mastercard in DevOps automation and best practices.
• Are you a born problem solver who loves to figure out how something works?
• Are you a CI/CD geek who loves all things automation?
• Do you have a low tolerance for manual work and look to automate everything you can?
Business Operations is leading the DevOps transformation at Mastercard through our tooling and by being an advocate for change & standards throughout the development, quality, release, and product organizations. We need team members with an appetite for change and pushing the boundaries of what can be done with automation. Experience in working across development, operations, and product teams to prioritize needs and to build relationships is a must.
The role of business operations is to be the production readiness steward for the platform. This is accomplished by closely partnering with developers to design, build, implement, and support technology services. A business operations engineer will ensure operational criteria like system availability, capacity, performance, monitoring, self-healing, and deployment automation are implemented throughout the delivery process. Business Operations plays a key role in leading the DevOps transformation at Mastercard through our tooling and by being an advocate for change and standards throughout the development, quality, release, and product organizations.
We accomplish this transformation through supporting daily operations with a hyper focus on triage and then root cause by understanding the business impact of our products. The goal of every biz ops team is to shift left to be more proactive and upfront in the development process, and to proactively manage production and change activities to maximize customer experience, and increase the overall value of supported applications. Biz Ops teams also focus on risk management by tying all our activities together with an overarching responsibility for compliance and risk mitigation across all our environments. A biz ops focus is also on streamlining and standardizing traditional application specific support activities and centralizing points of interaction for both internal and external partners by communicating effectively with all key stakeholders.
Ultimately, the role of biz ops is to align Product and Customer Focused priorities with Operational needs. We regularly review our run state not only from an internal perspective, but also understanding and providing the feedback loop to our development partners on how we can improve the customer experience of our applications.
• Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of services—from inception and design, through deployment, operation and refinement.
• Analyze ITSM activities of the platform and provide feedback loop to development teams on operational gaps or resiliency concerns
• Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, capacity planning and launch reviews.
• Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
• Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
• Support the application CI/CD pipeline for promoting software into higher environments through validation and operational gating, and lead Mastercard in DevOps automation and best practices.
• Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
• Take a holistic approach to problem solving, by connecting the dots during a production event thru the various technology stack that makes up the platform, to optimize mean time to recover
• Work with a global team spread across tech hubs in multiple geographies and time zones
• Share knowledge and mentor junior resources
What we offer to help you find your way as a Relauncher:
• A 16-week program, on a paid fixed-term contract
• Comprehensive learning resources to help you settle in and grow – from learning about our business, to workshops on presentations and networking, online learning and coaching from managers
• A structured ‘Getting Started’ program
• An engaging and stimulating project to work on
• A career buddy assigned from day one
• A supportive manager equipped to help people return to work, with regular check-in sessions
• Depending on availability and our selection criteria, the chance to be hired for a permanent role
• BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent practical experience.
• Experience with algorithms, data structures, scripting, pipeline management, and software design.
• Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
• Ability to help debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks.
• We support many different stakeholders. Experience in dealing with difficult situations and making decisions with a sense of urgency is needed.
• Experience in one or more of the following is preferred: C, C++, Java, Python, Go, Perl or Ruby.
• Interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
• We need team members with an appetite for change and pushing the boundaries of what can be done with automation. Experience in working across development, operations, and product teams to prioritize needs and to build relationships is a must.
• Experience in industry standard CI/CD tools like Git/BitBucket, Jenkins, Maven, Artifactory, and Chef. Experience designing and implementing an effective and efficient CI/CD flow that gets code from dev to prod with high quality and minimal manual effort is desired.
Relaunch Your Career is for People Who:
• Have taken a career break of around two years or more
• Are keen to return to work on a permanent basis
• Have previous experience at mid-management level, ideally gained in technology, financial services and professional services organizations
• Are team players, collaborative, excellent relationship builders and influencers, great problem solvers and adaptable
• Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.?
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.